FactsCacao beans are the seeds of an Amazonian fruiting tree and source of all chocolate and cocoa products. Our raw Nibs are from the best tasting premium criollo variety and are simply the shelled and crushed chocolate beans. The Mexican Mayan kings drank up to 30 pure chocolate drinks a day to maintain their vigour and valued the bean so highly that it was used as money.
Nutritional BenefitsRaw Cacao products are a source of beta-carotene, amino acids (protein), Omega-3 EFA's, calcium, zinc, iron, copper, sulphur, potassium, and one of the best food sources of muscle relaxing, stress relieving magnesium – now you know why women crave chocolate every month!
Suggested UsesAll the work has been done for you! Eat as is or grind with coffee, add to smoothies, coffee, icecream, muesli, cookie batter/trail mix, or substitute in dessert recipes for chocolate chips.
VEGAN BROWNIES WITH ALMOND CACAO ICING
Makes 24 squares
3 cups spelt flour
1 cup raw CACAO POWDER
1/2 cup raw CACAO NIBS
1/2 cup COCONUT PALM SUGAR
10 drops vanilla essence
1 Tbsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
3 cups milk (or milk alternative)
2/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce or pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup pecans or roasted walnuts (optional)
1 cup GOJI BERRIES (soaked in warm water to soften for 10 minutes)
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325º F and grease an 11 x13 3L pan with coconut oil.
2. Sift dry ingredients.
3. Blend wet ingredients.
4. Combine dry and wet ingredients and stir to mix well. Add nuts and goji berries.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool before icing - garnish Brownies with fresh strawberries and chocolate shavings
** substitute up to 1 cup of Milk with coffee substitute **
** substitute pepitas for walnuts and add 1Tsp chili powder….Viva El Mexico!!!
Almond Cacao Icing
1 cup milk (or milk substitute)
3 Tbsp raw CACAO POWDER
3 Tbsp almond butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
1 Tbsp arrowroot powder mixed with 2 Tbsp water
1. Combine milk, carob powder, almond butter and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add arrowroot/water mixture and gently boil until thickened.
3. Remove from heat and add honey or maple syrup.